Friday 31 July 2015

WHY I FOLLOWED TOYIN SARAKI TO THE EFCC OFFICE - SEN. DINO MELAYE SPEAKS.


Senator Dino Melaye,Friday, explained that he followed Toyin, wife of the Senate President, Bukola Saraki, to the headquarters of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, last Tuesday because he wanted to know the level of culpability in the allegation against her by her petitioners.

Melaye, who is the Chairman, Senate Ad-hoc Committee on Media and Publicity, said he only went to the anti-graft office in his capacity as an independent investigator.

The lawmaker, who represents Kogi West Senatorial zone in the Senate, said in a press statement, in Abuja, that his explanation became necessary, following the barrage of attacks and criticisms he had so far received from his “brothers, sisters and fellow citizens” since Tuesday, when he was sighted accompanying Mrs Saraki to the headquarters of the commission in Abuja.


SEN DINO MELAYE
 Melaye, who said he had no regrets nor apology to anyone for his action, debunked insinuations in some quarters that he may have been one of the beneficiaries of the contracts in which the former Kwara State First Lady was being accused of.

He said he had never executed any government’s contract, either at the local, state or federal government level in his life, and challenged anybody with evidence to the contrary to provide it.

Melaye, in the statement entitled: “Stand up for what you believe in regardless of the popularity or acceptance of your belief”, also revealed that his visit to the commission’s office along with the Senate President’s wife was a personal sacrifice aimed at preventing the commission from being compromised through influence by desperate politicians.

He said: “The invitation of Mrs. Toyin Saraki by the EFCC, however, is not a criminal indictment. I will not abandon my friend because of mere EFCC invitation. I also went there as a private investigator and an anti-corruption crusader to find out the extent of culpability of my sister and friend since she was not told the content of the petition against her before her appearance before the EFCC.

“My definition for friendship is he or she who walks in when others are walking out. If my father is invited by the EFCC, I will go there; if a prima face case is established against him, I will shout for his prosecution. So my great people, I have no regrets following my friend and sister to the EFCC. If you are my friend, you are my friend. I cannot control what my friends will do, but they remain my friends. I am not fighting corruption out of passion only, but because it is the Godly thing to do.”

“I chose to react to the attacks I have received from my brothers, sisters and fellow citizens because I was seen in the Headquarters of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, with my sister, Mrs. Toyin Saraki.

No comments:

Post a Comment