Sunday 19 January 2014

I AM NOT IN A RELATIONSHIP - NIYOLA


Background
My name is Eniola Akinbo but for the purpose of my music, I am known as Niyola.  I had a well-rounded childhood and my father was a very strong influence in my life. I have nine siblings and I’m the last child. I read books, played and got into trouble like every other child. I learned to be responsible early in life and this has helped me handle good and bad times.

Journey to music
I realised I could sing when I was a child. My father took me to a Funmi Adams concert when I was eight years old. That experience opened my eyes and inspired me. As a teenager, I competed in the Amen Starlet Competition in 2000.  That was when I was introduced to the Nigerian music scene, but I did not make my professional music debut until 2005.


Kind of music
My music genre is contemporary R&B/Pop.   I grew up listening to R&B/Pop acts.  I make music tailored to how I feel at every point in time.  My sound is original and I also infuse a lot of Yoruba into my music.

Deal with Empire Mate Entertainment
I met Banky W, CEO of EME several years ago at the first edition of the Ovation Red Carol.  He heard me singing the theme song and he was impressed.  A few years after when I decided to make my comeback into music after a long hiatus, I did a collaboration with Skales who was already signed unto EME. I went over to the EME studio a few times to work on the song, ‘Unpredictable.’ Banky and I got talking again and a short while later, I was signed to the label.

Life as First Lady of EME
I’ve always grown up among guys. It feels good to know that I have more guys to call my family. There is of course an added responsibility when you’re the only female on a record label, but I can handle the pressure. It feels good to know that there are people looking out for me. If there is any competition in house, it is a friendly one. We all make different types of music so it would be pointless for anyone to want to compete with others.

Being sexy
I have always been self-aware. I am a woman and have always been conscious of my body and the effect it has on the opposite sex. I am me and being sexy is innate. It is not something I do on purpose, it’s like breathing. I don’t know for a fact if it has helped increase my acceptability or made me marketable. I want to believe my music does all that for me.

Sophomore album
My first album with EME is in the works. The three singles I’ve released are all from this album and the rest of the music I will release will also be from it. There are many sides to me, and with each new single, I give the audience a new glimpse of me, my music and my style. My music is a part of me and we want to ensure everyone is ready for Niyola’s second album.

Competition
I’m a firm believer in running my race. Competition helps but it should not be the only reason why we take action. I am very hard on myself and I am my biggest critic. Nothing good in life comes easy and I do not expect to be handed anything on a silver platter.  If there were no obstacles, my story would not be memorable.

Fame
My biggest issue with my growing fame is the increasing lack of privacy and the demands on my time. It seems like these days I can barely get a moment to myself. There is always something or someone demanding some of my attention, but it’s the life I chose so I’m dealing with it.

Mr. Right
I’m not in a relationship and I don’t like the phrase Mr Right. Any man that I would get involved with has to possess certain basic qualities. I have a strong personality so, my man must be confident. Any man who lacks self-confidence will not be able to live with a strong woman. He must also have the fear of God. This is very important and he must be intelligent. It also helps if he is good looking. Attraction is important in a relationship.

My style
I like to keep it simple. Style for me is comfort, elegance and class.  I dress according to the occasion and the message I’m trying to pass across with that particular look. It doesn’t necessarily have to go with everybody’s approval .I think what you wear is a personal choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment